First of, bad news, usb support is NOT available on virtualbox-ose (ose = open-source-edition) => you will need the closed source version.
Good news is that it’s still free for personal use.
- download and install full virtualbox closed source version: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
- remove conficting virtualbox-ose (if already installed): sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-ose
- install downloaded file: sudo dpkg -i <path_to_downloaded_file>/virtualbox*.debNOTE: At the end of package installation, I had the following error message:
* Starting VirtualBox kernel module
* modprobe vboxnetflt failed. Please use ‘dmesg’ to find out why
dmesg returned the following errors:
[ 1305.319993] vboxnetflt: disagrees about version of symbol SUPDrvLinuxIDC
[ 1305.319997] vboxnetflt: Unknown symbol SUPDrvLinuxIDC
Solution for this was to run: sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setupand then reinstall .deb package
- now follow instructions as listed in this post: http://www.davidgrant.ca/virtualbox_usb_windows_xp_guest_ubuntu_hardy
- Run virtualbox: Virtualbox &
- click on your virtual machine / settings / usb (on left menu)
- activate usb support
- enable ehci (usb 2.0) support (without it usb keys were not recognized at all)
- clik add (right icons) to add corresponding usb devices (this will save you from manually enabling/disabling them each time you plug them in)
- save changes, start your virtual machine and enjoy usb ports!
NOTE: usb devices did not work properly until I installed virtualbox guest additions and rebooted
- http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17432 (solution on vbox error message upon installation)
- http://www.qc4blog.com/?p=680 instructions on how (and why) it’s important to install virtualbox guest additions